Normally my winter ends with a flourish and gives me a huge amount of confidence going in to the spring, however this year we decided to go away as a family for two weeks to Tenerife at the end of March.
My winter campaign finished early on my winter water and sadly I missed my target of 3 twenty
pounders, I did manage a few more fish up to mid doubles but it just wasn’t meant to be. A thirty
back in January more than made my winter so I can’t complain.
When I returned to this country I was gagging to get back on the banks and within 24 hours of being home I was back on my first syndicate, it felt like I was home and the new spring campaign was starting. A quick overnighter on my first night saw me draw a blank but it was more about being out there on this occasion.
The following week saw me get out for 3 quick overnighters between work, the first was on my
syndicate where the winter thirty came from but I could only manage a Bream in the small hours, not a happy camper I decided that would be the last time I would fish that lake for a while and I would now concentrate on my first choice syndicate from here on in.
With the lack of success on the Monday night I switched tackle and went for my bigger rods and
reels ready for two consecutive nights on Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday night arrived and I started the long walk from the car park with an idea of where I wanted to be, an area that didn’t have any pressure on the Saturday night that I was there.
I arrived at a couple of swims and watched the water for a while, nothing moving I decided to opt for a swim that I had fished before and had enjoyed huge success. I wasn’t expecting miracles as the previous weekend saw a few Tench come out and no Carp, but I had to be in with a chance being one of two anglers on the lake.
Knowing the swim meant that I didn’t need to lead around, I just needed to wrap the rods and clip up. Rods out on the spots with a small bag of pellet on one, a small bag of crumbed boilie on another and a mixture of two on the third. I then proceeded to put two kilo of boilie over one rod to see if a smaller more discreet approach, or the bed of boilie would work.
Through the night the baited rod didn’t make a sound, the other two both went off with one
producing a small stockie that went in earlier in the year and the second producing a Tench. The
takes gave me an indication that the fish didn’t want a lot of bait still and that made my mind up for the approach on the second consecutive night. Just as I was packing up there a Carp crashed out to my right, pretty much over another little spot that I knew.
The Thursday night was here and I chose to fish the same swim as the previous night, seeing the Fish crash that morning I switched my baited rod from the previous night to the spot where the fish crashed. All three rods were introduced with a small bag of pellet and boilie crumb and around 20 baits were scattered around each rod.
Not long into darkness and I was in to a fish, it felt like a pretty good one and fought like one of the original stock that are around the thirty pound mark, a hard 10 minute scrap and I had her in the net, she wasn’t what I expected as she was one of the first batch of stocked fish, she was however a pristine resident who weighed in at 23lb 08oz.
By midnight the second was in the net and this was another stockie, 2.30am and another stockie put in an appearance. Although 3 fish were stockies I felt like I had landed with a total of four for two nights work, a good start to the spring with plenty of overnighters to come over the next few
months. I have had some good results over the past week with one of the lakes biggest resident gracing my net, more of that in the next blog, until then,